Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Perspective is Everything . . . Depending on How You Look At It

Okay, for those of you who may think that I'm able to make my entire living in music, I'm about to burst that bubble. I can't. Yet. I'm working steadily toward that eventuality, but I'm not there . . . yet.

In the meantime, I also have several 'temp' jobs. It was as I was arriving at one of those jobs earlier this evening - at Richland Country Club - that I saw the sign, "ASCAP Awards". Oh, this is going to be interesting, I thought. I've been an ASCAP member for about 29 years now. This evening, it was my lot in life to serve my fellow members.

Now, I should hasten to explain that I really don't have a problem with the task of serving. Treating someone with kindness and thoughtfulness in a professional manner, so that they have an enjoyable experience. I actually take pride in trying to do that well. (And I happen to be one of the better banquet servers in town - thank you very much!)

It is a bit odd, though, to be in a room of peers and be serving - literally - in a different capacity. It turned out to be the ASCAP Christian Music Awards, which made it less of an issue, since I don't write Christian music at all anyway . . . And it wasn't that it was 'depressing' or anything like that . . . just odd.

In addition to serving Amy Grant, whom I've served before (and frankly, would be happy to serve in any capacity . . . anytime . . . jk Vince!) I also served a young gent who co-wrote a current hit song, which I happen to like a lot. At one point, I congratulated him, and he just looked at me with a blank expression - not bad, just 'blank' . He seems like a nice enough guy - 'cherubic' in fact, would be the best word I can use to describe him. He had no idea who I am, of course, or what I do. What I REALLY do . . .

I kept thinking how odd it is . . . here I've been an ASCAP member for 29 years, and this youngster is most assuredly not even 29 years of age yet! Good for him! Odd for me . . . I don't begrudge him his success, nor do I wallow in self-pity for my lack of BIG SUCCESS . . . Hey, I enjoy the song that he helped create, and I've not given up on the prospect that I TOO will someday see that kind of success.

The strange feeling was that I KNEW that I 'fit in' with this crowd (at least as a songwriter and artist - NOT as to genre . . .), but THEY had no idea! It was kind of like being invisible at a party of friends. This was an awards show, so it was the best of this genre that were there. I don't hold myself below or behind anyone as a singer/songwriter. I'm pretty confident. So, I guess it was just weird that THEY didn't know that I'm just as good as they are . . . let alone that I write at all!

Again, the genre isn't one that I 'partake' in, so I don't expect to ever win those particular awards. But someday, I fully hope to be at some similar awards show - and be holding my own little trophies!

You can be sure that when I'm there, I'll be paying attention to the servers!

No comments:

Post a Comment